In Egypt there has been a long history of religious clashes between the Copts and Muslims. In 2011 the discrimination against the Copts spiked, leaving several killed. On January 1, 2011 there was a bombing on a church that killed 21 people that led to fights and stone throwing at a mosque. Then in March there were protests for a burning church that left 13 people killed and another 100 injured.
Throughout 2011 there was more violence in Egypt against the Coptic Christians throughout the year. In October demonstrators were protesting against previous attacks on churches that had yet to be prosecuted. There were at least two armored personnel vehicles that drove through the crowds and killed at least 10 demonstrators. About another dozen were shot and several were injured. The military did not admit to their actions and Generals Mahmoud Hegazy and Adel Emara said the protestors had attacked the soldiers.
In January 2012 there were more attacks against Coptic Christians in Egypt. Muslim men looted Abskharon Suleiman's appliance store, apartment, as well as his children's homes and shops. Rocks were thrown at the windows and the buildings were set on fire. The attackers also demanded the Coptic family to leave the village. Suleiman's wife thought they were going to die. Police officers came but witnesses say they did nothing about it.
In August 2013 at least 42 churches across Egypt were attacked and 37 of them were damaged or burned. The attacks came after speakers at sit-ins claimed Copts supported the killings of Muslims. Three Coptic Christians and one Muslim were killed in the midst of the violence. There were also Christian institutions, schools, and Coptic businesses and homes that were attacked. The police nor military were not there during most of the attacks; one priest who was a witness called for help but didn't receive any. In one incident a police station was attacked by the mobs before attacking a church. Some of the Muslim leaders publicly condemned the attacks while others said the Coptic religious leaders played a role with encouraging the groups to attack.
From 2014 up until the end of 2016 the attacks against the Coptic Christians died down but there were a few incidents of violence against random civilians. In December 2016 there was a bombing at a church that killed 25 people and injured around 49. It happened during mass at a church in Cairo. At the time no one claimed the attack, but some Islamic supporters proclaimed their agreement with it on social media.
In April 2017 there were two suicide bombings at Coptic churches in Tanta and Alexandria; both attacks were claimed by ISIL. The first bomb was inside the church Mar Girgis, also known as St. George. 27 people were killed and 71 were wounded. Hours later there was a second bomb in front of St. Mark's which killed 16 people. One witness said the church received a threat 10 days before the attack. After the bombings Egypt declared a state of emergency.
In May 2017 at least 28 Coptic Christians were killed by gunmen that attacked the buses they were on while traveling to a monastery in Minya. About another 28 were wounded. The gunmen came in three pickup trucks and started shooting then fled the scene. ISIL claimed responsibility for the attack and afterwards President Abdul Fatah al-Sisi ordered strikes in Libya.
In December 2017 there was another attack on the Copts. A gunmen killed 2 people at a Coptic shop, then afterwards opened fire at Mar Mina church in the Helwan district killing another 9. Most of the victims were Coptic Christians. ISIL claimed responsibility for the attack. The attacks against the Coptic in Egypt has been an ongoing crisis.
Last year hundreds of Copt families fled Sinai Peninsula to Ismailia city. The ongoing crisis against the Coptic Christians has put them in a state of fear for their lives. About 90 families came to a church to seek refuge, scared and in need of supplies. One man said they've become scared of their own shadows, scared that someone might shoot them from behind. A woman says her husband hasn't been able to earn a penny in three months and everyday they hear about someone being shot or killed.
YouTube - Al Jazeera
With the ongoing attacks in Egypt, the nationwide state of emergency is going to be extended for another three months starting January 13. It was already extended twice; last July and then again in October. Even with the state of emergency, the government has failed to protect the Copts from sectarian violence. They've yet to consistently prosecute those responsible for the attacks.